Silent Explosive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What would you want in an Anime/Manga themed magazine?

+4
Electricpanda
Mythwolfzano
kenro
VotreReine
8 posters

Go down

What would you want in an Anime/Manga themed magazine? Empty What would you want in an Anime/Manga themed magazine?

Post  VotreReine Mon May 19, 2008 11:07 pm

Hey all,

A friend of mine and I are starting up and plan to publish an anime/manga themed magazine in our area (QLD, Australia). What we're certain about is that it will include locally produced manga.

We have a lot of ideas of what to include but it would be very helpful if we could get some opinions on what anime and manga fans would be interested in reading/seeing.

All opinions and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

~V

P.S. This will be a hard-copy publication.

Last edited by votrereine on Mon May 19, 2008 11:53 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : post script note)
VotreReine
VotreReine
Budding Member
Budding Member

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2008-05-08

RP Character
Name:
Race:
http://votrereine.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

What would you want in an Anime/Manga themed magazine? Empty Re: What would you want in an Anime/Manga themed magazine?

Post  kenro Mon May 19, 2008 11:28 pm

Alita fan fic!

No, wait... that's too kinky. How about... dark action drama, selfconscious action comedy, sophisticated suspence...
And of course what would manga be without Sechs and violins ahem sex and violence?

Seriously, though, we could have a comprehensive review of all titles available, perhaps sorted by language or country availablity...
kenro
kenro
Project Leader
Project Leader

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2008-04-29

RP Character
Name: Cullen
Race: Splicer

Back to top Go down

What would you want in an Anime/Manga themed magazine? Empty Re: What would you want in an Anime/Manga themed magazine?

Post  VotreReine Mon May 19, 2008 11:47 pm

Well, first off, we only want to include original works.

"dark action drama, selfconscious action comedy, sophisticated suspence... " would depend on the artists we choose but we'll be sure to include manga from a variant of genres.

The magazine would have an audience ranging from pre-teens to mid twenties and as such, we'd like to avoid anything above a PG level.

All titles available? Such as a section for reviews of existing manga or anime?
VotreReine
VotreReine
Budding Member
Budding Member

RP Character
Name:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post  kenro Tue May 20, 2008 11:32 am

• votrereine wrote:Well, first off, we only want to include original works

• "dark action drama, selfconscious action comedy, sophisticated suspence... " would depend on the artists we choose but we'll be sure to include manga from a variant of genres.
Aways on the lookout for new talent

• votrereine wrote:The magazine would have an audience ranging from pre-teens to mid twenties and as such, we'd like to avoid anything above a PG level.
Hey, was a joke, very bad pun. and a cheesy Alita allusion (Sechs is a guy cloned from her dna)

• votrereine wrote:All titles available? Such as a section for reviews of existing manga or anime?

um... If I'm reading this right, yes. Sort of. You're halfway there. There are fansubs, scanlations and license dodgers showing up more and more on various repo indexes and viewer/download sites. Some are very poorly represented, with only a single, maybe three, episodes, and no manga chapters. Synopses and review to these, some very easily classics, are sadly deficient. Thi is why I jumped at the (false) impression thi was for a webzine. I'd love to hear about new, and old but currently lesser-known perhaps better than the popular, titles

Also, I find most self-conscious ani-manga to be as much a groaner as my own jokes, but still paradoxically, as fun:
Shinpachi in ginTama stuck in a traskcan on a railway and a train approaches, he's screaming that this ony happens in manga
Lead characters (I forget their names) arguing over who gets the most screen time in ID_entity.

Fun.
Til next time.
kenro
kenro
Project Leader
Project Leader

RP Character

Back to top Go down

Post  Mythwolfzano Tue May 20, 2008 5:41 pm

hmmmm, that would be awesome, we could it like where it holds are manga(for austriala) AND reviews games, manga, anime etc. Also it could have interveiws about the various mangaka...
Mythwolfzano
Mythwolfzano
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 58

RP Character
Name: Koga Z.F. Kougaka

https://mangaelements.aforumfree.com

Back to top Go down

Post  VotreReine Wed May 21, 2008 4:39 am

lol. I see.

kenro wrote:I'd love to hear about new, and old but currently lesser-known perhaps better than the popular, titles.

That's definately one of our plans. I personally want to avoid the popular stuff since it's likely people will know about it already if they'll be buying our mag.

The reviews page will be two pages set up in columns, each column for a genre and featuring one anime.

Since people have different opinions (I personally find Lucky Star cute but painfully slow paced whilst others love that sort of thing), we'll probably have a few different people give their opinion of each of the featured animes. It'll also give the team an excuse to get together, watch all the anime, discuss them as well as the mag.

Since it'll be quarterly, we might be able to add in one for manga as well. Since I know it can take me 2-3 days to read 30 chapters.
VotreReine
VotreReine
Budding Member
Budding Member

RP Character
Name:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post  kenro Wed May 21, 2008 5:45 am

You said it would be printed in Australia? Did you mention how long it would take the reach The States? I thought you did, but I can't find the reference...
kenro
kenro
Project Leader
Project Leader

RP Character

Back to top Go down

Post  VotreReine Wed May 21, 2008 6:24 am

Well, it'll be first print here and mostly about the local anime/manga scene as it is in Australia. It won't be huge.

Shipping costs are expensive so there's probably no way we could send a large amount to the US, especially in our first year. And there's no way we could have something printed there.
However, we'll always have the option for those overseas to buy copies through our website (converted cost so whatever it is in Australia, it'll be __% cheaper depending on exchange rates).

I believe the cost to send just one mag is about AU$12 and takes 2 weeks to arrive.
VotreReine
VotreReine
Budding Member
Budding Member

RP Character
Name:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post  Electricpanda Wed May 21, 2008 8:56 am

It's unlikely that it will even reach Stateside - the comics and manga scene here isn't what one would call large.

Queenie, how much do you think it would be to ship interstate (to, say, Melbourne)?. I can never find these kinds of magazines.

Not that I've really been looking hard, or anything.
Electricpanda
Electricpanda

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2008-05-04

RP Character
Name:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post  VotreReine Wed May 21, 2008 9:19 am

Melbourne's the home of Oztaku http://www.oztaku.com.au, the Aus manga anthology. Though they're focussing more on graphic novels now.

There's also the Generation anthology for manga.

However, I'm hoping ours will be broader than those and more of a community magazine.

I think, depending on the size and weight it be average around $6 to ship it anywhere in Australia and to Melbourne it would take 3 - 5 days to arrive.
VotreReine
VotreReine
Budding Member
Budding Member

RP Character
Name:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post  VotreReine Fri May 23, 2008 6:08 am

Just had the idea of using 'SanQ' as the name of the mag.

San referring to 3 (as in anime, manga and games/cosplay which the mag would cover) or from sanshou meaning 'three cheers' or 'praise'.
[I'm really trying to find a meaning for the san, aren't I?]

Q referring to Queensland.

And together equalling phonetically sankyu - Japanese pronounciation of Thank You.
(Funnily enough, lengthen the u sound [sankyuu] and you have maternity leave apparantly.)

I like it but I don't. Seems strange to have a mag basically called Thank you. Opinions?
VotreReine
VotreReine
Budding Member
Budding Member

RP Character
Name:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post  cocopuff Sun May 25, 2008 12:04 am

I'm glad you asked >.>

Latest anime and manga releases..what just came out and what is about to come out.

Big news, straight from Japan. Season anime list, reviews on those anime etc.
Also state if any movies are coming out, Japanese DVD and Manga releases.

Anime/manga of the week...have each person working on the project(assuming it's only 2 write a review over a certain anime or manga of choice.

Fan Art.

Contests. Maybe for a DVD or a Graphic Novel.

cocopuff

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-05-22

RP Character
Name:
Race:
Back to top Go down

Post  Caffeine Sun May 25, 2008 12:34 am

OEL manga news, perhaps not even exclusively manga if it's something good coming out. More focus on obscure publishers who deserve attention. I disagree with having a lot of focus on Japan, you can get news about their anime and manga scene in just about every other manga and anime focused website and magazine I've ever seen. And that's not right I say, NOT RIGHT! (And I think it's ridiculous..)
Caffeine
Caffeine

Number of posts : 49

RP Character
Name:
Race:
Back to top Go down

Post  kenro Sun May 25, 2008 12:38 am

Ambitious...
Unfortunately, he forgetsto mention he prints in Australia and we'll hafta mailorder expensively after the first copy free. Smile
kenro
kenro
Project Leader
Project Leader

RP Character

Back to top Go down

Post  Kriven Sun May 25, 2008 1:05 am

You could always set up a website and have any non-local deliveries be order-only, thus only needing to mail one volume to your current non-local subscribers. Include your profit and the shipping into the subscription fee and you should be set for anyone outside of your current shipping zone.
Kriven
Kriven
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 53

RP Character
Name: Adam Dox
Race: Human

Back to top Go down

Post  VotreReine Sun May 25, 2008 1:56 am

Caffeine wrote:OEL manga news, perhaps not even exclusively manga if it's something good coming out. More focus on obscure publishers who deserve attention. I disagree with having a lot of focus on Japan, you can get news about their anime and manga scene in just about every other manga and anime focused website and magazine I've ever seen. And that's not right I say, NOT RIGHT! (And I think it's ridiculous..)

Mmm. Exactly. I'd like to focus on, in terms of what we reviews, older works. Not the popular stuff most people have heard the name of. But we'll probably focus on what is available in Australia and what's happening in Australia. Because we're so isolated, everything takes a while to get to us and because we have a PAL video system, not NTSC like the US (which adds extra time as they convert it).

I don't want to focus on what's happening in Japan unless it affects us. For example, the world cosplaying championships, which are hosted in Japan. They have preliminaries here to find the Australian representative and we'd interview them before and after the event most likely.

kenro wrote:Ambitious...
Unfortunately, he forgetsto mention he prints in Australia and we'll hafta mailorder expensively after the first copy free. Smile

1. Yes. Incredibly ambitious.
2. The actual mag should hopefully be no more than $8. However if we have a following from readers more advertisers will support us then we would be able to afford to make it a free mag but we may make it really cheap though so we can have future funds for the mag.

Kriven wrote:You could always set up a website and have any non-local deliveries be order-only, thus only needing to mail one volume to your current non-local subscribers. Include your profit and the shipping into the subscription fee and you should be set for anyone outside of your current shipping zone.

That's what I'd like to do, since many people not in Brisbane (Australia and overseas) are already interested in it. We'll definately need a bigger team for the mailouts. As much as I'd like to accept subscriptions I probably won't until we're sure that the magazine will continue. I want to be fair, despite the fact that may leave us poorer than what we could be.

I don't plan to do this for profit. If I can breakeven I'm happy and any excess will go towards anything mag related.

Last edited by VotreReine on Sun May 25, 2008 2:33 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : :p)
VotreReine
VotreReine
Budding Member
Budding Member

RP Character
Name:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post  Caffeine Sun May 25, 2008 2:11 am

..This sounds cooler and cooler every post you make. Ooohh, I wish you were is the US!
Caffeine
Caffeine

Number of posts : 49

RP Character
Name:
Race:
Back to top Go down

Post  VotreReine Sun May 25, 2008 2:33 am

Caffeine wrote:..This sounds cooler and cooler every post you make. Ooohh, I wish you were is the US!

Teeheehee. Thanks.

I want something people want and would be interested in as there's not much here at the moment since anime and manga are just starting to grow in popularity. The convention in my city is only a few years old.

There are already anime reviews, some manga reviews (though few) and game reviews, and magazines with manga in them but nothing that emcompasses more than that.
VotreReine
VotreReine
Budding Member
Budding Member

RP Character
Name:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post  VotreReine Mon May 26, 2008 9:01 pm

Does anyone have anything else to add?
VotreReine
VotreReine
Budding Member
Budding Member

RP Character
Name:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post  Spectra Mon May 26, 2008 9:12 pm

I wish there was some way to get the mag in the U.S Because it sounds like it is going to be soooo kool
Spectra
Spectra
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 72

RP Character
Name: Ace

Back to top Go down

Post  VotreReine Mon May 26, 2008 9:15 pm

It won't happen unless we get a huge following and publisher picks us up but the fact it will be about the stuff happening in Australia, some of it won't be relavent for the people in other countries (except the articles and reviews).

There will be an international order system so you could always order one if this project does print.
VotreReine
VotreReine
Budding Member
Budding Member

RP Character
Name:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post  Spectra Mon May 26, 2008 9:26 pm

okays
Spectra
Spectra
Admin
Admin

RP Character

Back to top Go down

Post  VotreReine Mon May 26, 2008 9:51 pm

^_^

So let me know what you'd like in it content wise and it may be.
VotreReine
VotreReine
Budding Member
Budding Member

RP Character
Name:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post  Spectra Mon May 26, 2008 10:07 pm

All I want is manga that isn't popular or manga that no one has heard of before.
Spectra
Spectra
Admin
Admin

RP Character

Back to top Go down

Post  VotreReine Mon May 26, 2008 10:14 pm

Hehe done.

We will post original english manga and will review lesser known manga that are available for purchase in Australia (since we want to avoid being seen to be encouraging reading or watching anime/manga online).
VotreReine
VotreReine
Budding Member
Budding Member

RP Character
Name:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down