Silent Explosive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First thread! Ideas on transliteration

2 posters

Go down

First thread! Ideas on transliteration Empty First thread! Ideas on transliteration

Post  kenro Sat May 31, 2008 12:37 pm

I want this thread to reserve for discussion on changing words from one language to another, especially in the case of dead or fake langauges into good literate terms.

It will be moderated...
kenro
kenro
Project Leader
Project Leader

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2008-04-29

RP Character
Name: Cullen
Race: Splicer

Back to top Go down

First thread! Ideas on transliteration Empty Re: First thread! Ideas on transliteration

Post  kenro Sat May 31, 2008 12:46 pm

Canticle Of Sephira is based largely in Sumerian culture, so many of the concepts and words I use should come from there. In one case, I came up on the need for an alien-sounding word for 'beginning student'. I chose the Japanese word for 'student', altered to seem more Sumerian.

eg gaqunsey

After a little research, I realize this isn't quite right. I think 'the beginnings of the bonds of battle' would be more appropriate for the concept I intended.. But maybe 'mumusidru duranki', besides (considering my near-total ignorance of Sumerian) being likely constructed entirely incorrectly, seems just a little -too- alien.

Maybe I could use 'muranki'... Seems to fit language evolution, and even seems vaguely Oriental.

Any suggestions on this issue?
kenro
kenro
Project Leader
Project Leader

RP Character

Back to top Go down

First thread! Ideas on transliteration Empty Re: First thread! Ideas on transliteration

Post  Electricpanda Sat May 31, 2008 10:51 pm

ooh! Linguistics!

Looking at my good friend Wikipedia, Sumerian appears to have an alphabet: p, b, t, d, k, g, dr, m, n, ĝ, s, ts (somewhat like z), š (either like ch or sh), ś (also like sh), l, r, a, e, i, u. Syllables could also have the following structures: C, CV, VC, CVC.

I looked up the Arabic word for 'stirring' (n'shita, I think). We could roughly transliterate it as n.tsa or n.śa, I think. If we wanted to make 'stirring war', we can use the arabic word barax, which would become, I think, badrš. Together, they would be badršn.śa, which you could romanise as batts n'sha. Though I prefer the mangled sumerian XD
Electricpanda
Electricpanda

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2008-05-04

RP Character
Name:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post  kenro Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:52 pm

Is it me or does 'bahx n'sha' sound Klingon? I hear they took much of it from Arabic...
kenro
kenro
Project Leader
Project Leader

RP Character

Back to top Go down

Post  Electricpanda Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:50 am

I don't know - I've never actually heard it XD
Electricpanda
Electricpanda

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2008-05-04

RP Character
Name:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down